1st Dec is the World AIDS Day with the theme “Know Your Own Infection”. World AIDS Day is the first global health campaign created and launched by WHO in 1988. This year is also an opportunity to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the promotion day.
The WHO 2018 World AIDS Day campaign aims to:
1. Urging people to test their HIV status and get HIV prevention, treatment and care services;
2. Urging Policymakers to promote the inclusion of HIV and health services related to tuberculosis, hepatitis and non-communicable diseases on the “Health for All” agenda.
Here are some facts of HIV:
1. The number of people who die of AIDS every year is one million because they don’t know that they are infected with HIV, they are not receiving treatment, or they are starting too late.
2. Every minute of every day a girl aged between 15 to 24 years old gets HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.
3. 1 in 4 with HIV do not know they have it.